Concessionary Travel

The Concessionary Travel scheme provides reduced travel throughout Blackpool for people who hold a valid English National Concessionary Travel Scheme (ENCTS) pass.

Holders can travel between 09:30 and 23:00 Monday to Friday and all day on Saturday, Sunday and bank holidays.

From Monday 15 June 2020, there was a change for holders of Blackpool issued disabled concessionary passes who travel before 09:30am. The previous 50p concessionary rate if travelling before 09:30 am has now been changed to £1. This change brings Blackpool in line with the rest of Lancashire who currently pay £1 fare if travelling before 09:30 am.

Holders of a disability NoWcard issued by Lancashire County Council or Blackburn with Darwen Council will continue to be charged a fare of £1 per journey if travelling before 09:30am.

Holders of Older Person's NowCards will be required to pay a full fare if travelling before 09:30 or after 23:00.

How do I use my ENCTS card?

When boarding our buses and trams, place your card on top of the ticket machine and state to the driver/conductor where you want to go. You will then be issued a ticket receipt which will show your journey and fare.

Concessions for companions/carers of disabled persons

Some local authorities issue passes for carers who are accompanying passengers with pronounced disabilities. These are only valid in the area of the issuing authority and are not national passes. Currently, Lancashire does not issue carer’s passes and therefore we are sorry but no carer’s passes are valid on our buses or trams in any circumstances. This is not a transport operator policy but has been decided by the fundholders. Please do not be offended if the driver or conductor refuses to give free travel to someone producing a carer’s pass as it is simply not valid in this part of England yet.

ENCTS frequently asked questions

Am I able to use my concessionary pass issued outside of Blackpool or Wyre on board the Blackpool Trams?

Unfortunately, no. Only passes issued by either Blackpool or Wyre Borough Councils are eligible for free travel on the tramway as decided by Lancashire County Council.

Who pays for my concession?

The English National Concessionary Travel Scheme is funded by HM Government with your local district council. Lancashire County Council/NoWcard administers the scheme on behalf of Lancashire, Blackburn with Darwen and Blackpool.

How do I qualify for a NowCard?

You qualify for a NowCard if you are an Older Person or disabled (aged 5 or over) as set out in the national criteria and your sole or principal residence is in Cumbria or Lancashire.

How do I apply for a NowCcard?

You can apply for a NowCcard from your own Local Authority. Blackpool Transport Services unfortunately do not issue or regulate NowCards.

Blackpool Borough Residents
Customer First Centre
Municipal Buildings
Corporation Street
Blackpool FY2 1NF  
Customer First Centre opening hours: Monday to Friday from 09:00 to 17:00  
Customer First Telephone line: 01253 477477  

Fylde Borough Residents
Town Hall,
Lytham Saint Annes
FY8 1LW  
Town Hall opening hours: 09:00 to 17:00
Town Hall Telephone line 01253 658658  

Wyre Borough Residents
Civic Centre,
Breck Rd,
FY6 7PU  
Civic Centre opening hours: 09:00 to 17:00
Civic Centre Telephone line: 01253 891000 

Visiting the area? Speak to your Local Authority or Council about the English National Concessionary Transport Scheme (ENCTS).