Wearing Face Coverings Onboard
3 months ago
In line with government guidance for travelling on public transport, if you can, you must wear a face covering whilst travelling with us.
If you do not have a face covering whilst boarding our buses, you will be able to purchase one from your driver for £1 whilst stocks last with 50p of each sale donated to the NHS.
We’ve also put together a guide on how to make your own masks at home by following these simple steps.
Please be aware that for various reasons some customers do not need to wear a face covering because they are exempt.
Exemptions - people who do not have to wear a face covering
The requirement to wear a face covering does not apply to you:
- if you are a child under the age of 11
- if you have a physical or mental illness or impairment, or a disability that means you cannot put on, wear or remove a face covering
- if putting on, wearing or removing a face covering would cause you severe distress
- if you are travelling with or providing assistance to, someone who relies on lip reading to communicate
- if you are travelling to avoid injury or escape the risk of harm, and you do not have a face covering with you
- if you need to remove it during your journey to avoid harm or injury or the risk of harm or injury to yourself or others
- if you need to eat, drink, or take medication you can remove your face covering
- if you are asked to remove your face covering by a police officer or other official, for example to check your railcard
If you are unable to wear a face covering whilst travelling with us, please let your driver know when boarding. Where possible, download and print one of our cards to show to our teams. You could also show this using your mobile device if you don’t have access to a printer. If you believe you have any other reason which would stop you from wearing a face mask, please contact our team for further guidance.
It is important that those who can wear a face mask do so. Please be courteous to our drivers who are only doing their job and following the latest government guidance.
You may also notice that whilst driving, our teams may not be wearing a mask. We have installed extra protective screens in the cab area and our drivers are in a stable, well-ventilated environment. Guidance from the government means that drivers do not need to wear a face covering if there are sufficient safety measures in place, so please don't worry if you see a driver not wearing a face covering.
Our drivers are asked to wear face coverings when entering the bus and cab or leaving their driver cab for any reason, including assisting customers. The only exception is if one of our drivers has a medical condition which prevents them from wearing a face covering.
Please, continue to only use our services if it is absolutely essential that you do so. Wear a face covering, maintain a safe distance where possible and stay safe. You can find further guidance about using public transport and advice about travelling safely during this time on the gov.uk website.