Rossall Point Observation Tower is a distinctive beacon on the south-west corner of Morecambe Bay. Designed to look as if it is leaning the wind, the tower rises forty-two feet above the sand dunes and provides panoramic views of the Lakeland Fells, Forest of Bowland and the Lancashire coastline.
The current tower, which opened in 2013, is built on the same location as the 1766 Rossall Point, which provided an essential landmark to assist and facilitate the navigation of ships on the coast. The original landmark was then replaced in 1847, but removed in 1929 as it was deemed superfluous following the construction of Blackpool Tower and other nearby landmarks.
A new tower was built in 1948, but following technological advancements, and a national review of coastguard stations, the tower was once again at risk. The proposed closure of the tower resulted in a local petition to keep it open, as it was considered to be a vital lookout ensuring the safety of visitors to the Fleetwood sandbanks; however, the building ultimately closed in 1994. The tower came back into use again in 2007 when the National Coastwatch Institution began leasing the lookout with volunteers ready to assist HM Coastguard with any incidents.
In 2011 Wyre Council received EU funding from the Sea Change programme to renovate Fleetwood’s shoreline, and commissioned the building of the current Rossall Point Observation Tower. It was officially opened in June 2013 and is manned by knowledgeable Wyre volunteer rangers, as well as housing NCI on the second floor. With seasonal displays, activities and events, the tower is the perfect location to learn more about the coastal environment, wildlife and the biodiversity of the Wyre, with breath-taking views.