Built on the site of a 12th century monastery, the land which became Lytham Hall and estate was acquired by Cuthbert Clifton in 1606 with intent to build a Jacobean hall. Upon Cuthbert’s death in 1634 the site housed a forty-room hall which passed to his son Thomas.
Lytham Hall remained largely unchanged until the latter half of the 18th century, when plans were drawn up for the current Georgian house. One of the ‘most prolific’ architects of the era, John Carr of York, was commissioned to carry out the work, which resulted in the stunning three-storey Palladian-inspired exterior we see today, with a Rococo-style interior and further development of the parklands across the 8,000-acre site.
The Clifton Family continued to occupy the hall into the 20th century. The growth of local towns saw the family increase its wealth, with profits filtering back into the family estate. A segment of land was also used for the development of the railway in 1846, which in turn accelerated the growth in visitors to Lytham and Blackpool. In 1935 an area of land was sold and would become the site of the Blackpool Airport. The post-World War II years saw further piecemeal sales of land until the remainder, including Lytham Hall, was sold to the Guardian Assurance Company. During this time the Hall was largely used for office accommodation.
The site was designated as a Grade I listed building in 1965, and remains of cultural and historical significance. In 1996 the Guardian Assurance Company put the estate up for sale, including Lytham Hall and seventy-eight acres of parkland. The same year the Friends of Lytham Hall was formed and was instrumental in raising funds to purchase the estate; these included a sizeable donation from British Aerospace (BAE), and the Hall and parklands and their management was passed over to Lytham Town Trust.
Lytham Hall continues to open to the public for tours, outdoor theatre and seasonal events, including a tea room in the heart of the estate. More information can be found on their website.