Lytham St Annes
Lytham’s Lowther Pavilion Theatre is located within the wonderful Lowther Gardens. Serving Fylde and its surrounding areas with concerts, demonstrations, exhibitions, community events and theatrical productions there’s always something of interest to everyone.
With a seating capacity of 450 the theatre promises a fun, enjoyable atmosphere for all. After experiencing one of the brilliant performances there’s always the chance to take a stroll around the beautiful Lowther Gardens. The oldest park in Lytham attracts all visitors with its bowling greens, tennis courts, sports pavilion, play area and all round peaceful appearance.
Lowther Gardens is the oldest park in Lytham St Annes. The site previously housed ‘Hungry Moor’- a grazing site that was largely unkept until 1870 when town Squire John Talbot Clifton laid gardens in their place to honour his wife, Eleanor Cecily Lowther, from whom they take their name.
Lowther Gardens officially opened in August 1872 with newspaper reports commenting that the towns new pleasure grounds were ‘exquisitely laid out’ with ‘tasteful arrangement’. The thirteen acres of greenery, gardens and water features were maintained by the Clifton family with the design credited to the head gardener at Preston’s Avenham Park, George Rowbotham. The gardens were conveyed to the town in 1905 following which public conveniences and green houses were added along with a bandstand to accommodate a fourteen piece orchestra.
By WWI the gardens were in decline and in dire need of rejuvenation which lead to further investment by the Council. The additional funding saw the gardens transform with elaborate wrought-iron arches over two entrances, an additional rose garden, floral displays and a bowling green. The gardens were also used for a number of years to crown the Lytham Rose Queen.
A new bandstand was built in 1920 but this was superseded by the construction of the Lowther Pavilion. In 1982, the Lowther Pavilion underwent a large redevelopment- adapting the wood-built building into more structured brick and mortar ensuring the pavilion can continue to entertain the town. From performances by Fleetwood Mac in the 1960s, to visits from current popular culture icons such as Cee Lo Green, Jason Manford and John Bishop, the town’s only theatre continues to attract big names.
A statue of a Shrimper and large cobble clock were installed in 2003 and 2006 respectively, honouring the heritage of the town. The bronze life-size Shrimper statue is dedicated to the town’s oldest professional and the cobble clock is dedicated to John Talbot Clifton. The Pavilion and Gardens directly complement each other allowing for a relaxing wander in the gardens followed by a performance in the theatre.