Dating back to 1838, Euston Gardens was originally a modest green space surrounded by a chain-link fence. The gardens have adapted and changed through the years and still remain historically significant. A redesign by Wyre Council in 2014 saw the gardens become a year-round sanctuary for visitors to enjoy, with a fantastic range of floral displays and historical artefacts dispersed around the park.
Early items of historical significance include a memorial obelisk and elegant Victorian drinking fountain, both of which are dedicated to local fishermen James Abram and George Greenall. Erected in the 1890s, the two men lost their lives as a result of a great storm in Morecambe Bay whilst trying to save the crew of an overturned craft. In 1915 rockeries, gates, and large seafront shelters were added to the park; the shelters provided an advantageous viewing spot to observe Fleetwood’s flourishing fishing industry.
A cannon can still be seen within the gardens; the cannon is believed to have been fired as a salute to Queen Victoria when she visited in 1847. In addition a large anchor, which dates back to 1870, was relocated to the park in the 1980s for preservation. Other items included the bell from the old Isle of Man steamer Viking but has since been removed.
Two commemorative stones can also be found in Euston Gardens, which mark the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway and the Preston and Wyre Railway; the latter was the first purpose-built passenger steam railway to a holiday resort in the UK. These were restored by the Fleetwood Civic Trust in the late 20th century.
In 2014 Wyre Council added two curved stone benches to commemorate Queen Victoria’s visit and another dedicated to the work of the RNLI. A final dedication to Fleetwood’s visionary founder, Sir Peter Hesketh-Fleetwood, was added in 2018 - a striking bronze designed by Lancaster sculptor Alan Ward. He is depicted with the Lower Lighthouse in his hand and rabbit at his feet; the rabbit is symbolic of the town’s origins as a rabbit warren.