Blackpool Transport is the proud operator of Blackpool’s £100 million tramway. The four year project, which concluded in April 2012, saw the replacement of 11 miles of track, creation of a new depot and introduction of a fleet of 16 state-of-the-art trams.
It has never been easier to travel across Blackpool and the Fylde coast, with faster journey times, easy access and integrated Blackpool1 tickets that give you unlimited use of the trams and Blackpool Transport bus network.(excluding Heritage Trams)
Our frequent and reliable tram service provides an energy efficient mode of transport connecting residents and visitors to all major leisure, retail and businesses along the 11 mile stretch of coastline between Starr Gate and Fleetwood.
The trams have level boarding and step-free interiors and designated disabled/pushchair areas making them accessible to all. Our frequent and reliable service connects passengers to all major leisure, retail and businesses along the 11 mile stretch of coastline.
Christmas and New Year Timetables
Over Christmas and New Year there are changes to the published timetables. There will be no service on Christmas Day, Boxing Day (26th December) and New Year's Day. Service 1 buses will operate on Boxing Day and New Years Day from Starr Gate to Fleetwood via the Promenade from 0900 - 1800 approx.,
Christmas and New Year timetables are available from our Travel Centres or can be downloaded from the link on the Bus service page.
Ticket information -
We have a variety of great value tickets to meet all your travelling needs.
Our Blackpool1 tickets offer great value for money and give you the convenience and flexibility to travel across the tram (excluding heritage trams) and Blackpool Transport bus network at any time, on any day between the dates shown on your ticket making it easier than ever before to travel across Blackpool and the Fylde coast.
From Friday 1st April both Blackpool Concessionary Travel Pass holders and Wyre Concessionary Travel Pass holders will be able to travel free of charge on the Blackpool Tramway from 0930 and 2300 Mondays to Fridays and anytime on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holidays.
Please see some Frequently Asked Questions below:
1. Can all Wyre Now Card holders use their Now Cards on the Blackpool Tramway?
Yes, this is now possible from April 1st 2016.
Restrictions apply. Please see section 7.
2. Can Fylde NoW Card holders have free travel on the Tramway?
No, the free travel applies to Wyre and Blackpool residents only.
3. I am a Fylde NoW Card holder and want to complain that I cannot use my NoW Card on the Tramway.
Lancashire County Council subsidises concessionary travel for people who live outside Blackpool. They can be contacted as follows:
PO Box 78, County Hall, Fishergate, Preston, Lancashire, PR1 8XJ
Telephone 0300 1236701
4. How will Blackpool Transport staff know that I am a Wyre NoW Card holder?
The Conductor ticket machines will be changed with effect from 1st April 2016 to recognise NoW Cards that belong to Wyre residents.
5. What will happen if a Conductors ticket machine cannot read my NoW Card?
Customers must have a NoW Card that the ticket machine can read to obtain their concessionary travel. If the card cannot be read then the concessionaire will be charged the full adult fare.
6. The tramway is very busy at times. Is there an alternative I can use?
The Blackpool Transport Service 1 bus runs parallel to the tramway, Northbound from Starrgate to Fleetwood and southbound from Fleetwood to Starrgate. The NoW Card Concessionary Scheme is recognised on any bus service in England.
The Lancashire County Council, Blackburn with Darwen Council and Blackpool Council Joint Concessionary Travel Scheme administered by Lancashire County Council is very specific in its wording. The relevant paragraph reads as follows:
“The mandatory bus concession for older and disabled people provides free travel on local bus services which operate between 09.30 and 23.00 Mondays to Fridays. There is no time restriction on Saturdays, Sundays or Bank Holidays”.
7. The scheme also contains the following discretionary elements:
• Disabled NoW Card pass holders from within the scheme area, can travel at a 50p flat fare on journeys on bus services before 09.30, funded by Lancashire County Council.
• ONLY holders of Blackpool and Wyre NoW Card passes can now travel with the same restrictions as above before 9.30am, and free of charge between 09.30 and 23.00 Mondays to Fridays and all day on Saturdays and Sundays and Bank Holidays on Tramcar services in Blackpool and Wyre (except heritage services, special tours and excursions,).”
• Wyre Concessionary Travel passes are not valid on trams after 1800 (6pm) on Friday, Saturday and Sunday evenings during the illuminations and every night during the October half term (29th October – 6th November).